Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Making comfort foods fit into a healthy lifestyle

Since starting this blog it’s been no secret that I am a carb addict! Back before I started learning to eat healthy it wasn’t unusual for me to cook up pasta to make lasagna and then for Matt to walk into the kitchen and find me eating the left over noodles. I was that addicted to carbs.

Slowly but surely I’ve been working on reducing the amount in my diet, but there are some forms that I truly miss. One such form is scalloped potatoes. Full of cheesy and creamy goodness, I can’t really justify making a big pan of it for just Matt and I, because then I’d be tempted to eat the whole thing!

So when I was reading the pioneer woman the other day, and saw that she had posted a scalloped potato recipe that you can make in muffin tins, I knew I had to try it.

First thing though, this recipe called for A LOT of butter! After reading the comments I cut this down by more than half. Also I used less cheese, and 2% milk for the half and half. I also subbed 1 and 1/2 pieces of bacon for the ham. All in all these turned out great! Also the nutritional stats for the version I made are really quite good, and if I only eat 2 of these and pair it with a huge salad I’m able to eat the comfort food…and not feel guilty afterwards.

So here’s my take on this recipe. First I nuked one medium sized potato in the microwave for about 7 minutes until is was squishy but not fully cooked. I then but a tiny bit of butter in the bottom of each tin (I made six). IMG00309I then place one slice of my potato, some green onion a bit of bacon and a bit of cheese.IMG00311  Then I just repeated the process for the second layer. I added 1 tablespoon of milk to each tin and then topped with a bit more butter.IMG00312 I then popped these in the oven for 20 minutes or so, while I made the salads. For salads tonight I used a mix of romaine hearts and spinach for the base. I then topped it with shredded carrots, red pepper, onion, celery, a bit of left over bacon, and some left over cheese. I served this with some red pepper and parmesan  dressing we bought a while back, and enjoyed this large salad along with 2 of the scalloped potatoes!IMG00315 IMG00318 Now for the nutritional stats on the scalloped potatoes!scalloped potatosAround 110 calories per scalloped potato muffin tin really isn’t that bad! I think next time I might decrease the butter a bit more because there was plenty in the tin to prevent sticking. Other than that, I’m looking foreword to trying different toppings in this recipe. Anyone have any ideas for great mix ins?

Well it’s been a really busy week, and my body is craving sleep! I’ll try to post again tomorrow, I have a really simple pasta dish to share with you all!

Night :)

Amy

4 comments:

Magda said...

Carbs are not bad, as long as they're right carbs. For example fries are bad but potato is very good, even though the sugar gets into your blood pretty quickly it is very filling and if eaten with skin provides plenty of vitamins and minerals. I also can't live without carbs, once I went on a high protein and absolutely no carb diet and I was dying. I started loosing weight right away but I was dreaming about carbs 24/7 and I had headache for 4 days until my body slightly got used to new diet. I also wasn't feeling hunger that much, I just had craving for carbs. Also I could not look at protein anymore, that's another reason why I was loosing weight because at the end i was consuming much less calories.

Amy said...

I agree that carbs are not bad, but that is if you are eating the correct amount of them as you mentioned. Before I started watching what I was overeating and putting on lots of weight in the process. Also I was using carbs as a coping mechanism and stress eating. Now that I'm eating a much more balanced diet and using exercise and yoga as a coping mechanism my dependence on carbs has dropped, though I still get most of my calories from them, although now it's from whole grain sources and potato and not sugar, mainly because I am running 5 times a week and need the carbs for energy. Thanks for your comment I love hearing other peoples perspective on dieting and hearing that other people struggle with dieting as well :)

Carolyn said...

These look lovely!
I post a lot of low-carb recipes because I am pre-diabetic. They tend to be fairly high in fats, because the trick to being low carb and staying full (and not losing weight in my case, I don't need to lose) is to take in a fair amount of fat. Good fats, for the most part, like nuts and avocados.
Good for you for getting healthy!

Alison said...

You made me smile!! I do that all the time with recipes... cut the butter down, reduce the sugar... psychologically it makes me feel better!

~Prairie Story ...care of Alison Zulyniak